Cheeses of Italy

horto.vet

Reaction score
Portugal Large Animal Veterinarian
Credits to tot167 from avax

Rotraud Michael-Degner, “Cheeses of Italy”
Italian Institute of Foreign Trade | 2002-03-22 | ASIN: R20090120A | 113 pages | PDF | 4 MB

Follow author Rotraud Michael-Degner on a gastronomic tour of the most loved and world renowned Italian cheeses. Discover the history behind these culinary treasures, their making process and the laws that safeguard their authenticity and originality. This book also provides the reader with recipe ideas for creating traditional Italian appetizers, main courses and desserts with suggestions on cheese etiquette, such as pairing with wine and cutting techniques.
You may travel to Italy for its picturesque Medieval towns, beautiful landscapes or to follow the footprints of ancient times, but surely each time you discover a new spot along the peninsula. Last year my travels to the country I love so much took me to the areas where Italian cheeses are made. I learned how the climate and environment influenced the variety of flavors of Italian cheese - how the majestic mountains of the Alps and Appenines, the rugged island terrain of Sardegna, and the glowing warmth of the southern Italian sun all play a vital role in determining the fine quality of the finished products.
My starting point was the Aosta Valley with its towering, snowcapped mountains. Here small, savory mountain cheeses and large wheel-shaped cheeses are still completely hand-made according to recipes followed for generations. In central Italy near Rome, I watched Pecorino, one of Italy's most ancient cheeses, being made from sheep's milk on a small farm. The ageold process, still followed by Italian families, calls for Pecorino to ripen in deep, rocky cellars. In fact, some Etruscan cellars that A Tour of Italy Destination: Italian cheese were recently found near Rome seem to be very suitable environments for aging this cheese. In the Campania reigon in southern Italy, Mozzarella di Bufala is still made according to the ancient formula which calls for buffalo milk. The mozzarella is shaped by hand into large or small balls, egg shapes or braided into thick braids.
The process for making Italian cheeses has remained essentially unchanged over hundreds and even thousands of years. They are still ripened according to type in moist, rocky caves or dry, airy, wood or stone huts. The different types of cheeses produced, however, have grown in number and it is worthwhile to explore the wide variety of diverse flavors.
I also visited many "Consorzi" or producers' associations which closely supervise the production of the individual dairy farms. These associations abide by the strictest of government regulations and guarantee the quality of the cheeses by placing a special seal on them. Perhaps on your next trip to Italy (or even to the supermarket) you may wish to include Italian cheese and wine on your itinerary: You will find Italy offers many opportunities for new discoveries. As you will see, a great assortment of Italian cheeses are available today. The recipes in this book will allow you to experiment with countlees delicious dishes that are prepared with delectable Italian cheese.

Last edited:
Back