attachment.php

View attachment 2212

Pages:
Publisher: Kluwer Academic Publishers London
Edition: 2002
Language: English
ISBN: 0412065118

Description
Although many aquaculture books exist, few explore the engineering aspects of aquaculture production. This book is a humble attempt to fill that void and bridge the gap between the traditional fishery biologist and the engineer. The primary aim is to concentrate on the technical engineering principles that are applicable to aquaculture systems. Aquacultural engineering is such a broad field that it is impossible to do justice to all facets of the discipline in one text. Therefore, I keep to the basic engineering fundamentals that apply to aquaculture production and do not cover such complex topics as harvesting gear, harvesting vessels, processing, storage, transportation, etc. Biological cultural practices are not discussed in detail since this information is available from so many other sources. Although this book is written primarily for students and practicing aquacultural engineers, my intention was to write in basic enough terms that it can also be of benefit to fishery biologists, aquaculturists, seafood technologists, entrepreneurs, and others interested in aquaculture. I have touched upon a variety of subjects, covering some in greater depth than others, but still addressing each major topic in basic terms. It was my intention that the reader could use this book to develop an understanding of aquacultural engineering fundamentals that would enable him or her to solve more complex technical problems. The reader should understand that, where a description of a system or process is presented, a generalized method is being described, and there is no one way to culture a particular species, nor is there one system that works best to the exclusion of all others.
The book begins with an introductory chapter that describes the commercialization of several important species in the United States. This chapter discusses the importance of commercial aquaculture and finishes with a brief summary of the future of aquaculture. Chapters that follow concern topics such as water quality aspects, siting considerations, water supply, pumping, water flow measurement, open culture systems, pond and raceway systems, closed recirculating systems, aeration, oxygenation, and disinfection.

TOC
Preface
I. Introduction
2. Water Quality and Environmental Requirements
3. Site Selection for Aquaculture
4. Water Supply
5. Aquaculture in Open Systems
6. Fluid Mechanics
7. Pumps
8. Flow Estimation and Measurement
9. Aquaculture in Ponds, Raceways, and Tanks
10. Recirculating Aquaculture Systems